Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What's For Dinner?

This week I gave my kids a week off from helping cook. We have several things going on and having dinner as a family every night this week will be difficult. Last night was one night we could be together and I decided to try something new. A while back, I found a recipe on Pinterest for a chicken enchilada casserole. Of course it had all the yummy ingredients that would not help me with my weight loss. I needed to make some adjustments.

I wanted this to be easy. I started off by cooking up some boneless skinless chicken tenders. After they were cooked and shredded, I began assembling. First, I poured a little bit of red enchilada sauce on the bottom of my dish. Next came 2 and a half fajita size flour tortillas. (I used the half tortilla to fill the gap between the other two.) Next came a little more sauce, a small sprinkle of shredded mexican blend cheese, and then the shredded chicken. I drizzled a dab more sauce on top of the chicken and sprinkled a tad more cheese. Continue the layers ending with cheese on top.

I baked this at 350 F for 20 minutes. I wish I had pictures to show but I forgot. Our family ate it up! I was going to put onion in but forgot that too. (Didn't sleep well the night before and I think it was affecting my brain.) I think next time, I will cook the chicken in the crockpot with some onion and peppers.

I divided this into 8 servings. Based on my ingredients, there were only 234 calories per serving. Not bad. I think this will be one of our new staple recipes.




No comments:

Post a Comment